Recipe by IngridH
This is adapted from Kentaro Kobayashi's book Bento Love, which I find to be a great resource for lunchbox ideas. I especially turn to it when I need help with vegetable ideas, and this is one of my favorites from the book. The cheese is my own addition, cheddar just goes so well with broccoli and ham! Note- This is meant to be a side dish, if you want it to be your main (or only) lunch item, increase the quantities to match your appetite.
- 1 cup broccoli floret, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 slice deli ham
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli, and cook until not quite done. (I just barely blanch it, as the remaining heat will continue the cooking while it cools) Drain, and set aside to cool.
- Cut the ham into 1/2 inch squares.
- Mix the cooled broccoli, ham, mayo, mustard, cheese, and pepper to taste.
- ** As this has mayo in it, be sure to pack your lunch with an ice pack to keep cool and safe until lunchtime!