Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
My brother is in construction and needs an easy, high-protein, low mess lunch each day. I started making these for him in large batches and freezing them. He just takes one out of the freezer each morning and it's ready to eat by lunchtime!
- 591.47 ml flour (I use half whole wheat)
- 14.79 ml yeast
- 4.92 ml salt (optional)
- 14.79 ml basil (or other herbs or spices)
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml oil
- 158.51 ml hot milk
- 1 egg
- Combine 1 1/2 c flour, yeast, sugar, salt and basil.
- Beat eggs and oil together.
- Add egg mixture and hot milk to dry ingredients.
- Mix and then add remaining flour, turning out onto a board to knead when consistency allows.
- Return to bowl and set in warm place to rise (about 30 to 45 min).
- Punch down dough, divide into four balls.
- Roll each ball out into a 8" circle.
- Add filling to one half, fold over, pinch edges shut like a pie crust.
- Bake 20- 25 minutes at 350°F.
- Filling Suggestions:.
- I use whatever is left in the fridge! Beans, stew, veggies, meat. Here are a few "recipes".
- Cooked chicken breast, chopped in small pieces, canned corn, barbecue sauce.
- Tuna salad, cheddar cheese.
- Canned beef stew (the nice, thick kind) cheddar cheese.
- Make up your own!
This recipe is amazing! My hubby loves the crust, and I love the chance to use up leftovers in the fridge and have his lunch ready in the freezer. I've made them with ham and bean and pulled pork so far, but the possibilities are endless! Thanks for a great recipe!!
awesome!!! i made some beef stew with no patatoes to put in the middle with a slice of swiss cheese...it was hearty! my boyfriends new favourite lunch on his 12 hr shifts! easy to eat & versatile
I skipped the basil in the dough and we really liked it. I filled them with homemade roasted tomato sauce with veggies and then I added ham and cheese to 1/3, to another 1/3 poblano peppers and cheese and the last 1/3 with ground beef and cheddar cheese. I will be making these often because my boys have enjoyed them a lot in their lunches. Thank you for posting!