Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Rachel Ray's Yum-O cookbook. This is a recipe that DD7 picked out to make for us for lunch. :) It fits my requirement that our lunches be healthy and well-balanced. She washed and trimmed the strawberries, peeled the carrots, cut up the cheese, mixed the salsa/dressing, and helped assemble the lunches. A 12 year old could probably make this with just some supervision. The amounts listed are RR's original amounts, but I think unless you are feeding a grown man, this is too much food. Adjust amounts to fit the appetite.
- 1⁄2 cup turkey breast
- 1⁄2 cup boiled ham
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup provolone cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese or 1⁄2 cup American cheese
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 celery ribs
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- 3 tablespoons ranch dressing
- 1 slice angel food cake
- 1⁄2 pint strawberry, hulled
- Cut turkey, ham, and cheese into bite sized cubes. Cut carrots and celery into sticks. Place these into lunch box.
- Mix salsa and ranch dressing in a small sealable container for dipping savory dippers into.
- Cut angel food slice into cubes and place in another container in lunch box.
- Puree strawberries with a splash of water or juice in a blender. Pour into another small sealable container for dipping cake cubes into. This can also be made with frozen strawberries.
This was fabulous! So great to switch up lunch sometimes from the same boring sandwiches. This went down a storm and I liked it as it was healthy with just a little treat, which I believe is the best kind of lunch!
Wonderful! This is such a great idea. My DD isn't a big sandwich fan, so this really was right up her alley. Thank you for sharing!