Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
These are a vegetarian version of Scotch eggs. Originally the eggs are encased within sausage meat in this version they are cased in breadcrumbs and carrots. They will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. From the BBC
- 7 large eggs
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 250 g grated carrots
- 29.58 ml korma curry paste
- 200 g granary breadcrumbs
- 85 g roasted cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 6 of the eggs in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then cool quickly in cold water. Carefully shell.
- While the eggs are cooling, heat the oil, fry the onion for 5 minutes, then add the carrot and cook for 10 minutes more until soft. Stir in the curry paste and fry for a few minutes more. Stir in the bread, then, when the mixture is cool, beat the remaining egg and stir in with seasoning to make a paste.
- Divide the mixture into 6 and flatten with your hands (wetting them makes this a bit easier), then use to wrap round each egg - the mixture will seal well as you press it together. Roll in the cashews and chill until ready to cook. The prepared eggs can be kept in the fridge overnight.
- Heat oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5, then bake the eggs for 15-20 minutes Cool for 5 minutes, then carefully cut in half using a very sharp knife.
- Serve with a bowl of mango chutney and a salad to make a main meal if desired.