Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Having spent a lot of time in the PI, I prefer lumpia to egg rolls (more meat, less veggies). These are easy to make. I recommend making a big batch and freezing some for another time.
- 1 lb pork (ground)
- 1 lb shrimp (finely chopped)
- 1 cup water chestnut (chopped)
- 1 cup green onion (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 (8 ounce) packages lumpia skins
- 1 cup cooking oil
- Combine first eight ingredients and let stand in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Place a wrapper on a large plate. Spread 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture in a thick line on the wrapper edge closest to you.
- Starting with this edge, roll it over the meat mixture once. Fold the two edges to the right and left of the mixture toward each other until they're snug against the roll of meat.
- Continue to roll the wrapper until it becomes a tight cylinder. Seal the edge of the wrapper to the roll with a little water.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers.
- This makes a lot, so freeze what you don't want to fry up right now. Layer in a freezer bag, and separate each layer with parchment paper.
- Deep fry as many as you need in hot oil and drain on paper towel.
- Serve with sweet and sour or dipping sauce.
Everyone loves them when I make it. Great recipe!
This is a fantastic recipe! I followed the recipe except I also added finely chopped mushrooms and carrots. I did all my chopping in the food processer which really speeded up the process. I tried it first with egg roll wrappers because I had some on hand and they were ok, but then DH brought home some spring roll wrappers for the second batch and they were superb. Thanks for a winning recipe!
being a filipina this is very authentic. i doubled the recipe for an asian theme party for my hubby at his work. followed everything except the eggs...added a little bit of onions and chinese celery since i love the flavor it gives. loved the flavor of the outcome. it was a HUGE hit and hubby said it was the first to go at the party. will go in my favorite file. thank you for sharing!