Recipe by cookiedog
This makes crispy lumpias that leave the plate as soon as you make them. This recipe is from the food network courtesy of Carlita Domingo. It also includes recipes for two dipping sauces. If you plan to freeze these do not use wonton wrappers as they will stick together. My wrappers also suggest using an egg white mixed with 1 tablespoon of flour to seal the wrappers.
Top Review by Jetje
These were sooo good! I served the lumpia with sweet chili paste, the way they sell it at the market in Nederland, it was like a trip overseas! I think I made more filling than the recipe called for, I had about 5 dozen lumpia & no patience left for assembling, so I cooked some rice & mixed it with the filling, served like nasi goreng, loved that too. Thanks for posting!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, julienned
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)
- 1 cup bean sprouts (optional)
- 15 -20 lumpia skins, square or 15 -20 round lumpia skins
Vinegar Dipping Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and black pepper
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in skillet and saute garlic and onions until tender. Add pork and saute until browned. Add vegetables and cook until tender, yet crisp, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with soy sauce. When mixture is cool, add bean sprouts. Salt to taste.
- To assemble lumpia: Carefully separate wrappers. To prevent them from drying out, cover unused wrappers with moist paper towel. Lay one wrapper on clean surface. Place about 2-3 tablespoons of the filling near the edge closest to you. Roll edge towards the middle. Fold in both sides and continue rolling. Moisten opposite edge with water to seal. Repeat with other wrappers. Lumpia can be frozen until ready to use.
- Deep fry at 350 degrees until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet sour or vinegar and garlic dipping sauce.
- Vinegar Dipping Sauce: Mix together all ingredients and let sit for 1/2 hour. Makes 1/2 cup.
- Sweet and Sour Sauce: In a small pan combine vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, water, sugar and salt, and boil for 2 minutes. Thicken with cornstarch mixture. Makes 1 1/4 cup.