Recipe by peach1705
A delectable twist on a great Southern favorite!! Be sure to prepare the grits first so they're hot and ready to garnish and serve.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large leek
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper
- 1 large tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb jumbo lump crab meat
- fresh basil leaf, 1 handful
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grits
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 Tbs unsalted butter in skillet.
- Add 6 cloves minced garlic and saute until garlic is barely soft-do not burn.
- In a heavy saucepan heat 4 cups water and 1/2 cup heavy cream but do not boil.
- Slowly add 1 cup grits and 1/2 tsp salt, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stiring often for 15-20 minutes or until thick.
- Add 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese and sauteed garlic and stir until cheese melts.
- Season with salt, pepper, hot sauce.
- Crab Topping:.
- In a large saute pan, melt 1 stick unsalted butter over medium heat. Just as butter begins to sizzle, add 1 large leek cut in 1/4 inch slices.
- Add 1/2 cup coarsely copped green bell pepper and 1/2 cup coarsley chopped yellow bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 large peeled, chopped tomato and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup good white wine, 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1 teaspoons black pepper. Mix well and cover.
- When liquid is bubbling, gently add 1 Lb. crabmeat. Shake the pan rather than stirring to avoid breaking crab lumps. Cover and cook for 1 minute or until nixture is bubbling and crab is warm.
- Add 1 large handful of fresh basil leaves, cut into slices and 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese.
- Cook for 1 minute and serve immediately over grits.