Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Inspired by a delicious Crab-Avocado appetizer served at Chicago's famous Gibson's Steakhouse. The key is using good, fresh lump crab meat - I buy mine at Costco and it has always been great.
- 1 lb large lump crabmeat
- 1 stalk celery, sliced very thin
- 1 medium scallion, sliced very thin
- 1⁄4 small green pepper, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon small caper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2 ripe avocados
- Lightly toss the chopped vegetables with the crab meat - try to minimize breaking up the lumps.
- Stir the remaining ingredients together and toss into the crab-vegetable mixture.
- Chill at least one hour.
- Peel and halve the avocados. Place them on a bed of spring greens or butter lettuce.
- Spoon the crab salad over the avocado halves. Garnish with lemon wedges.
Very good...love the extra bite the Old Bay gives this salad. This is rich and very satisfying; wouldn't change a thing.
This is easy to assemble and very tasty. It is equally good with shrimp or a combination of shrimp and crab.