Recipe by newbee
A recipe I've found on the internet and slightly adjusted to my liking, an australian super cake worth making :)
Top Review by dizzydi
This cake is the best cake I have ever made and eaten! It is so moist, tasty and absolutely scrumptious!!!!! My sister requested it for her birthday and she wasnt dissapointed. Everybody who tried it loved it! I highly recommend you try it. I did substitute half the flour with wholemeal flour and the pecan nuts were a great addition. I look forward to making this cake again very soon.
- 2 apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 60 g butter
- 1⁄4 cup pecan nuts (optional)
- 60 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine apples, dates, bicarb soda and water.
- Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Line an 8" 20cm deep cake tin.
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- (350 degrees F).
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Sift flour and salt, beat in alternately with apple mixture.
- Pour into tin and bake for approximately 1 hour or until cooked.
- (layer pecan nuts on top pf cake before pouring topping on) Topping: Make topping by combining butter, sugar, milk and coconut.
- Use the microwave or the stove top.
- Heat over low temp till butter and sugar is melted.
- Spread over hot cake and return to oven for a further 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown.