Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Having trouble sleeping? Or just want a tasty, healthy snack or breakfast? Many foods have natural soporific qualities. Between the bananas, the whole wheat, and the honeyed touch of sweetness, these muffins are practically an edible lullaby. Accompany with some warm milk, and you'll be in dreamland before you know it. From an Annie's Naturals e-letter.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 large very ripe bananas
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour (make sure it's whole-wheat pastry flour or you'll produce golf balls, not muffins), salt, and baking powder.
- In a blender, puree the bananas; add remaining ingredients and blend well.
- Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.
- Line 12 muffin tins with paper muffin cups, pour in batter, and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until tops are lightly brown and slightly springy.
These are just what I was looking for. I halved the recipe since my husband doesn't eat whole wheat flour :) I didn't use pastry flour, just regular whole wheat flour. I'm sure it would have been a little better if I'd had the perfect texture, but the taste was nice, yummy, healthy-tasting banana muffin. Next time I will probably add some cinnamon/nutmeg.