Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
"Sofrito in Italian typically means a sautéed combination of vegetables with garlic and olive oil. Made with ingredients picked from the garden." This sofrito is very similar to what we use for the Cuban or Puerto Rican sofritos but we don't use eggplant or potatoes, as does this recipe. I have tweaked this recipe to adjust to our personal preferences and to make it more diabetic friendly.
- 2 large purple eggplants or 6 -8 small purple eggplants, unpeeled
- 3 -4 onions
- 2 white potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 red bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 green bell peppers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 -8 tablespoons chicken stock or 6 -8 tablespoons water
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes, falkes to taste
- Slice the eggplant, potatoes, peppers and onions, into strips, about 1" long.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add chicken stock.
- Sauté potatoes, onions, and peppers for about 10 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to soften and the onions translucent.
- Add the eggplant and allow mixture to cook until the vegetables begin to caramelize, stirring occasionally.
- Add more chicken stock or water if the pan becomes too dry.
- Add garlic just before finishing and cook for another minute or so, being careful not to let it burn.
- Season with olive oil, salt, black pepper, & pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
- Serve immediately.
- NOTE: No need to salt the eggplant ahead of time as when it cooks, it will exude all of its juices during cooking process.