Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I don't know who Lucy is, but I love this cake. It is nice, light and citrusy.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 grated orange, rind of
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the mixture of the crumb topping.
- In a seaprate bowl, beat eggs.
- Stir in milk, vanilla and orange peel until well-mixed.
- Beat in flour mixture until blended.
- Turn batter into a greased 8-inch square pan.
- Batter will be runny.
- Top with crumb topping.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until tester comes otu clean.
- Serve warm or cold.
This was a very moist coffeecake with a slight orange flavor. My orange didn't have a very orange scent when I was zesting it which might have been the reason for the light orange flavor. Very easy to make. Thanks pines506. Bullwinkle.
This coffeecake turned out beautifully! It was just dense enough without being heavy in any way. We all enjoyed the light citrusy flavor. It would be a great compliment to spicy or heavily flavored foods at a breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea. I want to try it sometime using lemon zest instead of the orange since I love lemon baked goods too. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe!