Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This dessert is half a brownie and half steamed pudding. Serve it warm or cold with whipped cream.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl, mix together sugar, flour and cocoa.
- Stir in eggs, melted butter, vanilla and nuts.
- Pour batter into a buttered 9-inch square baking dish.
- Place larger pan of hot water in oven and allow it to simmer.
- Place baking dish in larger pan.
- Water should come halfway up the sides of the dish.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- The pudding is done when the surface is lightly cracked and the centre springs back when touched.
- The pudding has a custard consistency which firms as it cools.
- Serve warm or cold in squares.
- Serves 8.
- NOTE: When a recipe calls for food to be cooked in a bain marie, or water bath, it means oven-poaching.
- To oven pouch, half fill a roasting pan with hot water and place in the oven.
- When the water simmers, gently place the dish to be cooked in the simmering water.
- This creates steam in the oven and gently cooks delicate foods such as crème caramel, pates, baked puddings or some fish dishes.