Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe was cooked in New Orleans for the Great American Seafood Cook-off in 2005.
Make and share this Lucy Buffett’s Sweet Tomato Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces, including the green part
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices, preferably homegrown
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, cut in ribbons
- 2 cups shredded gruyere or 2 cups swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sprinkle flour over counter and roll pie crust dough to fit a 7x11-inch rectangle baking dish, making sure dough comes up the sides of the dish. Poke bottom of crust with a fork in several places. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- In a cast iron, or heavy skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat until it begins to sizzle. Add onions and sugar. Saute until onions are very brown and caramelized.
- Add garlic and stir constantly for another 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic is cooked through and tender. Remove onions and garlic from skillet and set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, heavy cream, sour cream, honey mustard, Parmesan cheese and green onions. Process until well mixed. transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In the cooled pie crust, layer half of the following ingredients: sauteed onions, cream cheese mixture, sliced tomatoes, salt, black pepper, basil and Gruyere cheese. Repeat layering using all ingredients.
- Bake 35 minutes or until pie is bubbling and top is browned.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.