This recipe was cooked in New Orleans for the Great American Seafood Cook-off in 2005.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces, including the green part
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices, preferably homegrown
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, cut in ribbons
- 2 cups shredded gruyere or 2 cups swiss cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Sprinkle flour over counter and roll pie crust dough to fit a 7x11-inch rectangle baking dish, making sure dough comes up the sides of the dish. Poke bottom of crust with a fork in several places. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- 3Remove from oven to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- 4In a cast iron, or heavy skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat until it begins to sizzle. Add onions and sugar. Saute until onions are very brown and caramelized.
- 5Add garlic and stir constantly for another 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic is cooked through and tender. Remove onions and garlic from skillet and set aside to cool.
- 6In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, heavy cream, sour cream, honey mustard, Parmesan cheese and green onions. Process until well mixed. transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- 7In the cooled pie crust, layer half of the following ingredients: sauteed onions, cream cheese mixture, sliced tomatoes, salt, black pepper, basil and Gruyere cheese. Repeat layering using all ingredients.
- 8Bake 35 minutes or until pie is bubbling and top is browned.
- 9Remove from oven and cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lucy Buffett’s Sweet Tomato Pie
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.7
- Calories from Fat 411
- Total Fat 45.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 98.2 mg
- Sodium 925.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 22.3 g