Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe from a book My Aunt Debbie gave me. The Treasury of White Trash Cooking. It does not say what size casserole dish to use. Or How many servings it makes. You decide.
- 1 (6 ounce) package seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Mix the stuffing mix, water, and butter together.
- Put half of the mix into a casserole dish.
- Now, mix the chicken, onion, celery, and mayonnaise together.
- Sprinkle with salt and pour it in the dish, on top of the bread mixture.
- Now combine the rest of the stuffing mixture with the eggs and milk and pour on top.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Take out casserole 1 hour before baking and spread chicken soup over the top.
- Bake this uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Now, remove the casserole from the oven and coat the top heavily with your grated cheese.
- Put it bake in the oven for another 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
This is a wonderful casserole!! It is so great to be able to prep. the day before! I served with cooked broccoli, and a fresh green salad. The family loved it! Thanks! This is going in my "favorites" box for sure!! ~Manda
My family and I loved the casserole. We had a very busy week and making the casserole the night before was very convenient and made getting supper ready much easier. The stuffing layer was a big plus. My family liked it so much that I made another casserole to take to my friend who just had a baby.
A nice casserole to fix on a cold winter afternoon.We really liked this and will be making this again. Tastes like old fashioned chicken and dressing! YUUUMMMMM!