Recipe by Realtor by day, Chef by night
This is so festive! It's really yummy and the best part is... it's quick to make with ingredients you probably already have on hand. It's a single layer round cake that's perfect when you don't need a big, giant cake. You can easily double this recipe and make a 13x9 if you have a larger family.
Top Review by weekend cooker
My company, and us really enjoyed this tonight.I did use vanilla instant pudding, other than that no adjustments were made. There were no leftovers at all. A great dessert for anytime of the year. Very moist, soft and flavorful. Made for Holiday Tag.
For the pudding layer
- 1 (4 ounce) boxjell-o chocolate pudding mix (you can use vanilla and you can choose instant or regular)
- 2 cups milk
For the cake layer
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon green food coloring
For the topping
- 2 cups Cool Whip (or make your own whipped cream- I do)
- green decorative sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare your choice of pudding according to package directions with the 2 cups of milk. I usually use the cooked chocolate pudding. Chill with a piece of plastic wrap pushed down onto the surface of the pudding so that it doesn't form a skin- yuck!
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour one 8 inch round cake pan.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Add milk, butter, egg, vanilla and food coloring. Beat with a mixer on low speed till combined. Beat on medium 1 minute. Pour into cake pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes then remove from pan. Cool completely.
- To assemble cake, put cake layer on serving plate, spread pudding over the top and then spread the whipped cream or cool whip over pudding. I don't cover the sides with the whipped cream unless something goes wrong with the cake and it looks funny or something. I think the layers look pretty showing. Sprinkle green sugar, beads or other green cake decorations over the top to finish. Sometimes you can find little green shamrocks in the cookie decorating department.