Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
I found a basic recipe for fortune cookies in Women's World Magazine, and tweaked it a bit for a new take on this classic treat. Think of clever fortunes such as: "Shame on you for thinking a cookie is psychic", "Error 404: Fortune not found", etc. Add sprinkles, ground coconut, pipe different icing designs if you like, be creative & have fun! Put them in a fancy take-out container, and they will make a thoughtful gift. You could even add food coloring for a wedding or baby-shower theme =^_^=.
- 22 pieces paper (4' x 1/2')
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder (usually comes in a can)
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons melted & cooled butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- plastic cups (3 oz.)
- 2 (12 ounce) packagesmelted white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or whichever oil you prefer baking with)
- With a marker, write a sentiment on each strip of paper.
- Pre-heat Oven to 350'F.
- Generously coat baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk together: Flour, sugar, cornstarch, Matcha, egg whites, butter & All-Spice powder.
- Making 2 cookies at a time: Drop batter by 1 tablespoons per cookie, about 4' inches apart, onto baking sheet.
- Using back of spoon, spread batter in 3 1/2' inch rounds.
- Bake 5 minutes or until browned.
- Shaping the Fortune Cookies:.
- Cover palm of hand with folded kitchen towel.
- With large spatula, flip hot cookie over onto towel.
- Working quickly, place fortune paper in the center of cookie and fold in half. (If any cookies cool and become too firm, pop back into oven for about 30 seconds just until softened).
- Place Thumb in center and immediatley bend in the corners around your thumb as if the edges are almost touching.
- Place cookie, tips facing down, into plastic cup to cool, about 15 minutes.
- Repeat baking & shaping remaining cookies, two at a time.
- Green Tea coating:.
- Line 2 jellyroll pans with wax paper.
- Using a double-boiler on low heat, Stir 1/2 Tbsp Matcha into Coconut Oil & white chocolate chips until melted.
- Dip half of each cookie into chocolate as desired, letting excess drip off.
- Transfer to Jellyroll pan & refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes.