Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe from the Lucky 32 restaurant chain in North Carolina and is one of their most requested recipes. Though Lucky 32 makes these cakes with Tabasco brand hot-pepper sauces, other brands of hot sauce may be substituted, and just one type of hot sauce may be used instead of two with similar results.
- 6 1⁄2 cups cooked black beans
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 1⁄4 red bell peppers, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco jalapeno sauce
Tortilla Chip Breading
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- Rinse black beans in cold water.
- Drain well in a colander for at least 10 minutes.
- Place beans and all other ingredients except Tortilla Chip Breading in a mixing bowl.
- Blend well with hands, mashing some of the beans to form a thick mixture.
- Form mixture into 3-ounce patties.
- Dredge each patty in Tortilla Chip Breading and set aside.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray or add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Saute bean cakes in hot skillet, turning once when bottom are golden brown.
- Serve with condiments of choice, such as salsa and sour cream.
- For Tortilla Chip Breading, place all ingredients in a food processor and process to a crumb consistency.
Delicious, easy to make, and healthy! I served these over rice with salsa and guacamole and my husband and I loved them. I will make this one again and again! Thanks!!