Recipe by pamela t.
These little bites of heaven are full of veggies and, oh, so tasty. The dipping sauce is sweet yet with a hint of fire. These are way better than take out, and you can control the salt and the fire! Created for RSC#13 contest.
Top Review by colleenannford
I agree with the other reviewers...way too much meat filling just for 14 to 18 egg rolls. I had alot of trouble getting all the meat inside to cook without overcooking the wrapper. I made them again this time using a lot less filling in each one and they turned out alot better. Really very good. I wasn't really thrilled with the dipping sauce....I prefer the old standard sweet and sour sauce. These were a huge hit with my husband!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 14 egg roll wraps
- 2 cups broccoli slaw mix
- 5 green onions
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup pineapple chunk
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix pork and broccoli slaw in large mixing bowl. I find it easy to mix using my hands.
- Dice green onions (white and greens).
- Finely dice cilantro and garlic.
- For the onions, cilantro and garlic, I use a mini-food chopper. I t makes it a fine dice.
- Add soy, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil to medium in a large skillet (or you can bake spring rolls in the oven. Spray each side with cooking spray, place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees about 20 minutes until golden. Turn once. Check pork inside spring roll for doneness).
- Place about 2 T of meat mixture in the center of one egg roll wrapper.
- Fold in bottom, fold in each side, and bring the top down envelope style. Dip your fingertips in water to seal edges.
- The egg roll wrapper package will have further instructions for folding.
- Keep unused wrappers under a damp paper towel while working or they may dry out.
- This makes about 14-18 spring rolls depending on how much meat you have added.
- Place 4 spring rolls in hot oil.
- Cook about 4 minutes per side watching them carefully. Do not burn.
- Drain on paper towels. Check inside one spring roll for doneness of meat.
- For sauce:.
- Drain pineapple well. reserve juice for another use.
- Using a food processor or mini-chopper, chop pineapple with cilantro.
- Add jalapeno and chop. I use seeds and all. If you don’t want much heat, take the seeds out.
- Add hot sauce ( I use Sriracha) and honey.
- Serve with spring rolls and garnish with cilantro sprigs.