Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 14 hrs
Cook 1 hr
ZWT 6. This recipe makes 2 loaves of Luchow's famous stollen. Though Luchow's is no longer, this recipe will keep it famous for a long time to come. Preparation time includes 13 1/2 hours of rising time.
- 12 cups sifted flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 lb butter, melted
- 6 eggs
- 1 lb seedless raisin
- 1 lb currants
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 2 1⁄4 cups blanched almonds, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb citron, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar (powdered)
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 c warm water,.
- Sift flour into large mixing bowl. Make a hollow in the center and work milk, butter, eggs and yeast mixture in until almost all is mixed.
- Wash and drain raisins and currants. Soak a few minutes and then drain and combine with the rest of the ingredients, except topping ingredients.
- Mix by hand until all is mixed. Dough will be stiff. Knead and fold dough over on itself repeatedly until smooth and all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Cover bowl lightly with folded towel. Let stand in warm, not hot, place for 12 hours.
- Turn dough out on lightly floured board. Pull in half. Shape each half into a loaf with slightly pointed ends.
- Place each loaf onto a greased baking sheet. Cover with a folded towel and let stand in a warm, not hot, place until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour.
- While still warm, spread with the 1/2 c melted butter and sprinkle with cognac and powdered sugar.