Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe comes from the Luby's Cafeteria 50th Anniversary Cookbook. The crisp colors and tangy dill dressing make this one-of-a-kind slaw a hit! --Note-- refrigeration time is noted as cooking time (2 hours).
- 1 medium green cabbage, shredded (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup thinly sliced dill pickle
- 1⁄2 cup short thin strips green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup coarsley chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onions with top
- 1⁄3 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell peppers or 1 tablespoon pimentos
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup pickle juice (juice from jar of pickles)
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, pickles, green bell pepper, parsley, green onions, carrots and red pepper.
- For dressing, combine water, pickle juice, vinegar, sugar, oil, salt and pepper.
- Whisk until well blended.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss lightly to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, tossing lightly serveral times.
- ~NOTE~To shredded cabbage the Luby's way (for slaw that is easy to eat) cut cabbage in half lengthwise and remove core.
- Cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices into 2-inch lengths.
This is great! I wouldn't change anything, it tastes just like the lubys salad. I've been craving it for so long and they took it off their menu. So happy I found this!
Definate 5 star one for us. Loved the combination & addition of the pickles, peppers & pimentos. My DH isn't real crazy about cabbage, however, he really enjoys this dish. Awesome recipe, thanks for sharing.
For a potluck or barbeque can't do better. My favorite cole slaw. Luby's generally does excellet cafeteria food and this is one of their best. Dozens of people have asked for the recipe and it really can be prepared a day ahead. My wife who usually does not like cole slaw loves this one. Quick to make with a food processor slicer.