Recipe by Kim D.
This recipe comes from the Luby's Cafeteria 50th Anniversary Cookbook. The crisp colors and tangy dill dressing make this one-of-a-kind slaw a hit! --Note-- refrigeration time is noted as cooking time (2 hours).
- 1 medium green cabbage, shredded (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup thinly sliced dill pickle
- 1⁄2 cup short thin strips green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup coarsley chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onions with top
- 1⁄3 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell peppers or 1 tablespoon pimentos
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup pickle juice (juice from jar of pickles)
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, pickles, green bell pepper, parsley, green onions, carrots and red pepper.
- For dressing, combine water, pickle juice, vinegar, sugar, oil, salt and pepper.
- Whisk until well blended.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss lightly to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, tossing lightly serveral times.
- ~NOTE~To shredded cabbage the Luby's way (for slaw that is easy to eat) cut cabbage in half lengthwise and remove core.
- Cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices into 2-inch lengths.