Recipe by Kim D.
Rich and delicious! This is one of Luby's most requested recipes. Note that cooking time does not include chilling time.
Top Review by Johnsdeere
i hate to give this recipe such poor reviews when everyone else is giving it 5 stars. the filling was way too rubbery and the chocolate was too mild and didnt taste like authentic chocolate. one of my family members described the chocolate as the last bit of nesquick in your glass when you take your last drink of it. i was really disapointed in this recipe, i had high hopes. im sorry but i definately wont make this again.
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk, separated
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 extra-large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- sweetened whipped cream (I use Cool Whip)
- chocolate curls or chocolate shavings
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, combine 2 cups milk, sugar, cocoa, and butter.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix cornstarch and water until cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk.
- Whisk in egg yolks and vanilla until well blended.
- Gradually add cornstarch mixture to mixture in saucepan, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Add mashmallows and stir until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Press plastic wrap diretly onto filling.
- (This prevents the formation of a tough, dry"skin" while cooling).
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap and top with whipped cream.
- Garnish with chocolate curls.
- ~NOTE~to make chocolate curls, shave from a chocolate candy bar using a pototo peeler.