1/2 Photos of Luby's Cafeteria's Chocolate Icebox Pie
Kim D.'s Note:
Rich and delicious! This is one of Luby's most requested recipes. Note that cooking time does not include chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups milk, separated
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 extra-large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- sweetened whipped cream (I use Cool Whip)
- chocolate curls or chocolate shavings
- 1In medium saucepan, combine 2 cups milk, sugar, cocoa, and butter.
- 2Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 3In a medium mixing bowl, mix cornstarch and water until cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- 4Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk.
- 5Whisk in egg yolks and vanilla until well blended.
- 6Gradually add cornstarch mixture to mixture in saucepan, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- 7Cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and smooth.
- 8Add mashmallows and stir until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth.
- 9Pour into pie shell.
- 10Press plastic wrap diretly onto filling.
- 11(This prevents the formation of a tough, dry"skin" while cooling).
- 12Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- 13Remove plastic wrap and top with whipped cream.
- 14Garnish with chocolate curls.
- 15~NOTE~to make chocolate curls, shave from a chocolate candy bar using a pototo peeler.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Luby's Cafeteria's Chocolate Icebox Pie
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.7
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 83.6 mg
- Sodium 181.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 37.0 g
- Protein 5.6 g