Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
For fans of cafeteria cuisine. Cooking time is approximate. Source: Luby's Cafeteria, Pasadena, Texas
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 1⁄3 cup diced celery
- 1⁄3 cup green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 lb butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons diced pimentos
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups crumbled cornbread, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Add the onion, celery and bell pepper.
- Sauté for 2 minutes until low heat.
- Set aside.
- In a medium size pan, melt the 1/4 pound of butter.
- Add the milk, corn, jalapenos, pimentos, salt and sugar.
- Heat the mixture over low heat.
- Add the bacon/vegetable mixture and 1 cup of the corn bread crumbs to the corn mixture.
- Heat well, stirring frequently.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch square x 1 1/2-inch deep pan.
- Moisten the remaining corn bread crumbs with the remaining butter and sprinkle on top of the corn mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven until the crumbs are light brown.