Recipe by mollypaul
For aficianados of cafeteria cuisine.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
The addition to cornbread sold me on this recipe. I used some croutons for the dry white bread. It was a bit of work, since I had to bake some cornbread for the recipe, but I liked that it yielded a large amount. My whole family ate (including son who hates squash!). This reheats nicely in the micro, too. Thanks Molly- Roxygirl
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 4 cups summer squash, slices 1/4 inch thick
- 4 cups zucchini, slices 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup crumbled cornbread (leftover from the recipe of your choice)
- 2⁄3 cup dry white bread, torn or chopped in 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted (not spread or tub product)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In medium saucepan, bring about 4 cups water to a boil.
- Add carrots.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 6 minutes.
- Add squash, zucchini and onion.
- Continue simmering uncovered 3-4 minutes or until carrots are tender crisp.
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl stir together next four ingredients until well blended.
- Pour over vegetables and mix well.
- Transfer to a 2quart baking dish.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- In medium bowl combine breads, add melted butter and toss together lightly to coat evenly.
- Remove foil from the casserole dish.
- Top vegetable mixture with bread/corn bread mixture and continue baking an additional five minutes.
- Serve hot.