Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from the Luby's 50th Anniversary Cookbook. It suggests for a different meatloaf to tope it off with barbecue sauce. The leftovers make a good sandwich! I have not made this meat loaf in my kitchen, but I have eaten it at Luby's, and it is very good. The prep time is a guesstimate!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb ground lean pork
- 3 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2⁄3 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup saltine crumbs, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Lightly grease a large, shallow meatloaf pan, or a large shallow baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients, mixing well.
- Firmly shape the meat into a 7 x 3 1/2 x 3 1/2- inch loaf and place in the pan.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake the meat loaf for 1 hour.
- Remove foil and continue baking for 5 minutes.
- *NOTE:For easy slicing, let the meat loaf stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
My DH loved this recipe. I made it with 3/4 lb pork Italian sausage. My husband and I like a sauce on our meatloaf so I mixed up 1/2 c ketcup.2 Tblsp mustard and 1 Tblsp worchestshire sauce on poured it over the meatloaf last 1/2 hour. Nice moist maetloaf,the green pepper is what makes this meatloaf...
This is a very nice, soft textured meatloaf. Lots of flavor. Not over powered by bread crumbs like so many are. The green peppers were a nice addition. We loved it! It was very good comfort food with mashed potatoes, peas and dinner rolls. Thanks, Miss Annie for another great recipe!
Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I love Luby's Meat Loaf and this is perfect. As I added all the ingredients, I kept thinking, this is way to moist. I was wrong! It cooked to perfection and is so easy to slice. It holds together well. I did top it off with barbecue sauce.