Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a classic favorite of all of the Luby's Cafeteria customers. From the Luby's 50th Anniversary Recipe Collection Cookbook. The taste of this M&C might be a little bland, but you can always kick it up.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix dry milk, flour, and butter.
- Gradually add boiling water, beating constantly.
- Add 1 1/2 of the cheese and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in macaroni, 1 cup of the remaining cheese, and salt.
- Transfer to lightly greased 2-qt baking dish.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Continue baking 1 minute or until cheese melts.
WOW!!! This is a great Mac and Cheese recipe. I have never eaten at a Luby's so I can't compare but we really liked this dish. I hope to try your Dessert Cheese Ball next (it looks sinful). Yep, the Top 100 better look out because here comes TwinkDawg!!!! :-)
This is perfect Luby's macaroni and cheese! My kids and whole family gobbled it up. All I need now is some fried okra and I'd be in Luby's heaven. Thank you so much, Miss Annie, for posting, I have a feeling this one will be requested often! By the way, the best Luby's in the world is located at 288/MacGregor in Houston. The women there are some fine Southern cooks and put all other Luby's to shame!
Total comfort food on a cold snowy night. Thanks Paula, this is great stuff. Made as written, except I chopped up my cheese rather than shredded it (it was thick sliced deli cheese). I will make this again without changing a thing.