Recipe by Miss Annie
This is a classic favorite of all of the Luby's Cafeteria customers. From the Luby's 50th Anniversary Recipe Collection Cookbook. The taste of this M&C might be a little bland, but you can always kick it up.
Top Review by Merlot
WOW!!! This is a great Mac and Cheese recipe. I have never eaten at a Luby's so I can't compare but we really liked this dish. I hope to try your Dessert Cheese Ball next (it looks sinful). Yep, the Top 100 better look out because here comes TwinkDawg!!!! :-)
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni (8 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 3 cups American cheese, shredded (12 oz.)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix dry milk, flour, and butter.
- Gradually add boiling water, beating constantly.
- Add 1 1/2 of the cheese and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in macaroni, 1 cup of the remaining cheese, and salt.
- Transfer to lightly greased 2-qt baking dish.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Continue baking 1 minute or until cheese melts.