Recipe by Julie in TX
I think this is a wonderful coconut cream pie recipe. I got it out of the Luby's Cafeteria 50th Anniversary cookbook. I am posting it in response to a recipe request. Coconut lovers will love this rich, creamy pie. I don't have a clue as to the prep time. I did not include baking the pie crust in the cook time.
- 5 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 extra large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1 1⁄4 cups flaked coconut
- 18 inches baked pie crusts
- 1 1⁄4 cups egg whites (from 8-9 extra-large eggs)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine half& half and butter in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl until the cornstarch is completely incorporated and the mixture is well blended.
- Gradually add the cornstarch mixture to the half& half mixture while stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- Continue stirring while cooking until mixture is thickened.
- This should take about 1 minute.
- Add the marshmallows and 3/4 cup of the coconut.
- Cook while stirring until the marshmallows melt and the mixture is well blended.
- Pour into pre-baked pie shells.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Beat the egg whites and the cream of tartar in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar, a small amount at a time while beating constantly until stiff peaks form.
- Spread 1/2 the meringue mixture over each pie to the edge of the crust.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the remaining coconut over the top of each pie.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until or until the meringue is lightly browned.
- Refrigerate until serving.