Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
“Chicken frying” steak originated as a way of tenderizing less-tender yet great-tasting cuts of meat. No Southern cookbook is complete without a recipe for this regional favorite. Use any flour remaining from the breading process for the cream gravy. From the Luby's Cafeteria 50th Anniversary Cookbook.
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut 1/2 thick in 8 serving pieces (if you don't want to pound the meat yourself, have the butcher run it through the tenderizer at the)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- In shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, seasoned salt, and pepper until well blended.
- Place flour in separate shallow bowl.
- Pound meat with meat mallet to ¼” thickness.
- Coat with flour, shaking off excess.
- Dip into egg mixture, then again into flour, coating evenly.
- Heat about 1/8” oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add meat and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until browned and cooked through.
As I've never eaten at a Luby's before to compare the taste,but I have eaten alot of Chicken Fried Steak.And this recipe rates right up there with it being some of the best I've ever eaten.Since there was just my SO and myself I only made half of the recipe.Instead of using 3 eggs I used just one, mixed 1/2 cup milk,for the amount of flour I used 1 1/4 cup,omited the salt,kept the amount of pepper the same,and used 1 1/4 teaspoons of seasoning salt.The directions were so "right on the money" even a beginner could make this recipe without any trouble.Thank you for posting,this will be made again."Keep Smiling :)"
luby's chicken fried staek tastes great hanging out under the heat lamp all day fresh and home made is even better and to the comment about the batter staying on during frying even the luby's people that make them all the time have that trouble so unfortunately you didn't do any thing wrong just cut into it with the meat
Excellent home-made chicken fried steak - I loved it!!