1/1 Photo of Luby's Cafeteria Cheese Enchiladas With Chili Sauce
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Kim D.'s Note:
This recipe comes from Luby's Cafeteria 50th Anniversary Cookbook and is one of their most requested recipes. If you like Tex-Mex, these are a must try! Serve with Spanish rice and refried beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika, plus
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 1To make sauce, brown ground beef in a large saucepan or Dutch oven along with the onions, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- 2Drain meat on paper towels.
- 3Return meat to saucepan and add broth, tomatoes, chili powder, paprika and cumin.
- 4Mix well, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon.
- 5Bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for one hour.
- 7In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- 8Gradually add the cornstarch mixture to the chili sauce, stirring constantly.
- 9Continue cooking sauce for about 5 more minutes.
- 10For enchiladas, heat oven to 350°F.
- 11Heat about 1/2-inch vegetable oil in a small skillet, until hot but not smoking.
- 12Quickly fry each tortilla in hot oil to soften, about 2-4 seconds on each side; drain on paper towels.
- 13In a large bowl, combine Cheddar cheese and onions.
- 14Mix well.
- 15Spoon 1/3 cup cheese mixture down the center of each warm tortilla.
- 16Roll up and place seam side down into two 11X7-inch baking dishes.
- 17Top enchiladas with chili sauce.
- 18Cover each dish with foil.
- 19Bake for 10 minutes or until hot.
- 20Remove foil.
- 21Sprinkle with american cheese and continue baking 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Luby's Cafeteria Cheese Enchiladas With Chili Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (609 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 673.8
- Calories from Fat 354
- Total Fat 39.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.9 g
- Cholesterol 144.2 mg
- Sodium 1842.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 45.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: