Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A mouthwatering, savory soup courtesy of the Houston chronicle for fans of cafeteria cuisine.
Make and share this Luby's Cafeteria Beef Tortilla Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1.5 (12 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1.5 (12 ounce) cans cream-style corn
- 3 1⁄2 cups shredded American cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cool water
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- tortilla chips (to garnish)
- shredded cheddar cheese (to garnish)
- sour cream (to garnish) (optional)
- Bring broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Crush tomatoes by hand and add with juice to broth.
- Add cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, corn, and American cheese.
- Bring to a boil again.
- Dissolve cornstarch in cup of cool water in small bowl.
- Add to boiling soup slowly while stirring constantly.
- Let simmer 10 minutes.
- While soup simmers, sauté ground beef in skillet with chopped onion.
- Drain off any grease.
- Turn soup off, and add cooked beef mixture.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.
This soup is kid-friendly and very easy to throw together. Non quite spicy enough for me but the kids loved it. I used 3 cloves of garlic.