Recipe by Miss Annie
This is a most requested recipe from the Luby's Cafeteria posted in response to a request. Prep time includes soaking time.
Top Review by MizzNezz
YUM!! Liver And Onions is one of my favorite dishes. I can see why this was the most requested recipe! This is the best! The soaking tones down the strong taste of the liver. And the milk and breadcrumb coating is perfect! I didn't change a thing here. This is a great recipe! Thanks, Miss Annie, for another keeper!!
- 2 1⁄4 lbs beef liver, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, sliced 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 extra large eggs
- 3 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak liver in cold salted water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Keep warm.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together milk and eggs until well blended.
- Place bread crumbs in separate shallow bowl.
- Rinse liver under cool running water.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Dip into milk mixture, then into bread crumbs, coating evenly.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add liver and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Top with onions.