Recipe by mollypaul
A lovely, moist fish dish from the Luby's Cookbook for fans of cafeteria cuisine.
Top Review by Chef Wahoo
The original recipe calls for COARSE BREAD CRUMBS not FINE as this one does. USE PANKO if you can find them. I have the Luby's book as I also really like this recipe. I am giving it 4 stars out of 5 since this one is close.
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oleo, melted (not tub or spread product)
- 2 (6 ounce) haddock fillets or 2 (6 ounce) cod fish fillets or 2 (6 ounce) other fish fillets
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup good quality mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In small bowl, combine crumbs, almonds and butter; mix well.
- If necessary, add additional melted butter, mixing well, just until crumbs hold together.
- Coat fish with flour, shaking off excess.
- Place skin side down in baking pan large enough to hold in a single layer.
- Spread mayonnaise evenly over fish.
- Sprinkle evenly with crumb mixture, lightly pressing into fish.
- Pour water around fish to a 1/8 inch depth, taking special care to pour the thinnest layer of water possible around the fish so you don't wet the topping.
- This step helps to ensure that the fish cooks up moist and tender.
- Bake 20 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with fork.