Recipe by Sandylee
I am posting this recipe for safe keeping and to share with all. I have prepared corn beef by boiling in seasoned water and then finishing off the dish in the oven with a glaze. I love the extra flavor that the glaze brings to the corn beef....so I just have to try it this way. I have not tried potatoes in the way described here, but the next time I prepare corn beef this whole recipe as written will be tried.
Top Review by Larkalot
Excellent! We're making it this way every year now. We used a flat roast so it made beautiful slices for sandwiches tomorrow. Loved the sweet glaze though the pan was a little messy to clean up. The potatoes were also fantastic. We chopped them in small pieces and added extra horseradish. Thanx Sandylee!
- 4 lbs corned beef brisket
- 1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1⁄4 cup prepared mustard
- 3 lbs potatoes (new potatoes, peeled)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F.
- In a roasting pan with a cover, place the meat. Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 3-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Remove from the oven. Increase the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and mustard. Spread the mixture over the meat. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, boil the potatoes in enough water to cover for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sour cream, butter/margarine, horseradish, salt, and white pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes. Using a rubber scraper, mix gently to coat evenly. Serve with the meat.