1 hr 30 mins
I was looking for the Luby Eggplant Casserole, and a Luby relative offered this recipe to someone. I wrote and asked if they'd share, and this is the recipe. I've never eaten at Luby's, but I'm told this is their recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium eggplant (Peeled and diced)
- 0.5 (10 7/8 ounce) can cream of chicken soup or 0.5 (10 7/8 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 large fresh tomato (diced)
- 1 cup bacon, small Pieces
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces shredded American cheese (about 4 slices)
- 1 (16 ounce) packet Mexican cornbread mix
- shredded cheddar cheese (to garnish)
- 1Bake Mexican cornbread per packet directions. Cut into halves after baking as you will only use 1/2 (approx 8x4x1").
- 2Note: If you know how to make Mexican cornbread from scratch, it's better than the individual packets, but the packets will do. Slice bacon into small 1/8-1/4" pieces and fry in a deep skillet until almost done (brown but not crispy).
- 3Dice eggplant, onion, and tomato into 1/4-1/2" pieces.
- 4Add first onion to skillet and saute about 5 minutes on med-low. Add eggplant, tomato, salt, pepper, garlic powder, corn, margarine and saute another 5-7 minutes. Everything is now becoming transparent and starting to mesh together nicely.
- 5Add chicken or celery soup, mix in, then add American cheese and stir until cheese has fully melted into mixture.
- 6Take half the cornbread you baked, crumble it, and stir into the mixture. Pour into 9x3" round casserole dish or comparable square one and cover with foil.
- 7Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes or until internal temperature is 165°F Remove foil and cover with shredded cheddar for final 10 minutes of baking. Do not let cheddar turn dark.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Luby's Baked Eggplant Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.4
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 10.6 mg
- Sodium 543.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Mexican cornbread mix