Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
An appetizer served at a Phoenician restaurant in Syracuse. The beans should be nice and soft when finished. Flat Italian type beans are good this way, too, but may require longer cooking.
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 heads garlic, peeled
- 1 kg green beans, string and snip off the ends, snip each bean into two
- 1 kg peeled chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (as desired )
- 1 dash ground allspice
- 1 dash sugar
- 1 fresh chili pepper (optional, green or red)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Fry onion and garlic cloves in oil over high heat, stir for 5 minutes.
- Add beans, cook for 10 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Add tomato, salt, sugar, chile, allspice, and water. Cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for 35 minutes or till tender.
- Remove chile before serving.