Recipe by rpgaymer
A light, flavorful soup that works perfectly as a quick lunch or light vegan main course.
Top Review by teresas
I knew this was going to be yummy...and it was! I had all the ingredients on hand with the exception of the serrano's...but that was an easy pick up at the store...I did throw in some ham for hubby's serving...I really enjoyed the touch of cilantro...love that stuff...thanks for posting the recipe...:)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pint vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ounce fresh cilantro, chopped, divided
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, and serrano peppers, and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Stir in the black-eyed peas, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, cumin, turmeric, salt, and half of the cilantro. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice and the remaining cilantro. Serve.