A light, flavorful soup that works perfectly as a quick lunch or light vegan main course.
Make and share this Lubiya (Sephardi Israeli Black-Eyed Pea Soup) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pint vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ounce fresh cilantro, chopped, divided
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, and serrano peppers, and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Stir in the black-eyed peas, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, cumin, turmeric, salt, and half of the cilantro. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice and the remaining cilantro. Serve.