Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an excellent green bean and lamb stew, a very herby and tasty concoction from chef Mohammad Homayon Karimy,of the Lebanese Taverna.
- 2 lbs lean lamb, top round, cut in 2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup ghee
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, mashed
- 2⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, divided
- 5 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced (or one large can diced tomatoes)
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons salt, divided
- 3 cups green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces (fresh if possible)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- basmati rice
- Brown lamb cubes in ghee.
- To the same pot, add onion and sauté lightly.
- Add garlic and a dash of salt and stir.
- Add cilantro (reserve some for garnish) and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add green beans, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stir.
- Add water to cover ingredients and simmer covered until lamb is tender, approximately 20-25 minutes. (You may need to add more water throughout cooking process.)
- Once lamb is tender, add remaining spices.
- Serve on platter over basmati rice and garnish with remaining cilantro.