Recipe by Satyne
Submitted for my food odyssey, American Samoa. Recipe taken from here http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/natl-american-samoa.html Prep and cooking times listed are estimates based off the recipe. It may also be worth while checking out this link before preparing this dish. http://www.victoria-adventure.org/aquatic_plants/recipes/taro_basics.html
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARING THE CREAM:.
- Scrape 5 fresh coconuts into the baking tin.
- Bake in oven until brown.
- Add 1 cup of warm water.
- Squeeze with a thin cloth or tauaga to get cream.
- Add salt and onion to personal taste.
- PREPARING THE LUAU PALUSAMI:.
- Get taro leaves. (You will need 4 leaves for one luau.Use 1 big leaf and 3 or 4 smaller leaves. You can break a bigger leaf to make a smaller leaf.) Lay the 4 pieces flat with the big one on the bottom and the 3 smaller ones on top.
- Place leaves in hand and close hand slightly to make leaves in a bowl-like shape, into which you pour the cream.
- Pour ~ a small cup of coconut cream inside the leaf structure and close outside edges of the leaves to enclose the cream, making the leaves like a ball-like structure.
- Wrap total package in aluminum foil, twisting the top to conceal and hold the package tight.
- Put in oven and cook for about an hour at 475 degrees F. (quite high).