1 hr 30 mins
Submitted for my food odyssey, American Samoa. Recipe taken from here http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/natl-american-samoa.html Prep and cooking times listed are estimates based off the recipe. It may also be worth while checking out this link before preparing this dish. http://www.victoria-adventure.org/aquatic_plants/recipes/taro_basics.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1PREPARING THE CREAM:.
- 2Scrape 5 fresh coconuts into the baking tin.
- 3Bake in oven until brown.
- 4Add 1 cup of warm water.
- 5Squeeze with a thin cloth or tauaga to get cream.
- 6Add salt and onion to personal taste.
- 7PREPARING THE LUAU PALUSAMI:.
- 8Get taro leaves. (You will need 4 leaves for one luau.Use 1 big leaf and 3 or 4 smaller leaves. You can break a bigger leaf to make a smaller leaf.) Lay the 4 pieces flat with the big one on the bottom and the 3 smaller ones on top.
- 9Place leaves in hand and close hand slightly to make leaves in a bowl-like shape, into which you pour the cream.
- 10Pour ~ a small cup of coconut cream inside the leaf structure and close outside edges of the leaves to enclose the cream, making the leaves like a ball-like structure.
- 11Wrap total package in aluminum foil, twisting the top to conceal and hold the package tight.
- 12Put in oven and cook for about an hour at 475 degrees F. (quite high).
Browse Our Top Polynesian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Polynesian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for LUAU PALUSAMI (American Samoa)
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 702.6
- Calories from Fat 598
- Total Fat 66.4 g
- Saturated Fat 58.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 40.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.8 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 6.6 g