Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great baked beans with a tropical twist!
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 (1 lb) cans pork and beans
- 1 (9 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and reserve drippings.
- Crumble bacon and combine in Dutch oven with onions and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and bake at 350° 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove cover and cook 25 minutes longer. Stir frequently.
As there are only 3 of us I cut the recipe in half. It still made a good sized pot of beans. The pineapple lent a wonderful sweet flavor to the dish. My daughter went back for seconds and even thirds. I think the next time I will cut back on the pineapple just a bit, for me it was a little too sweet, but my kids loved it just the way it was. We for sure will make this again, it was very easy to throw together and toss in the oven.
Perfect pot luck recipe and so easy to make. Made it for a family pot luck gathering yesterday. I cooked one pound of bacon, put half in as directed, and saved the other half for garnishing servings.