Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is from a dinner party hosted by Ivy Hui in Chengdu, Sichuan, China.
Make and share this Lu Rou Sichuan (Triple-Cooked Spareribs With Chiles) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs pork spareribs, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 2 cups chinese rice wine
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
- 3 1⁄4 cups canola oil
- 10 garlic cloves (4 sliced, and 6 minced)
- 8 inches piece peeled ginger (3 inch sliced into "coins," 5 inch minced)
- 4 dried arbol chiles
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 5 star anise
- 2 sticks cinnamon, broken in half
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 Thai red chili peppers, stemmed sliced
- 2 Thai green chili, stemmed sliced
- 1⁄3 cup sichuan red chili oil (hong you)
- steamed rice, for serving
- Mix spareribs, wine, and five-spice powder in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, drain ribs, discarding liquid, and transfer to a 6 qt saucepan. Cover with water by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until slightly tender, 3–5 minutes, and drain. Set aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup canola oil in a 14 inch flat-bottomed wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add sliced garlic and ginger, dried chiles, fennel, star anise, and cinnamon; cook until fragrant, 1–2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer spices and chiles to a piece of cheesecloth; tie into a tight package. Add package to wok with reserved ribs, sugar, salt, and 6 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook until ribs are very tender, 30–35 minutes. Drain ribs, discarding liquid and spice package, and dry them completely with paper towels; set aside.
- Dry wok with paper towels and heat remaining 3 cups of canola oil to 375 degrees F. Working in 2 batches, fry ribs until crisp, 6–8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain; set aside.
- Discard all but 1/4 cup oil; heat over high heat. Add minced garlic and ginger, and red and green chiles; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ribs and red chile oil; cook for 1 minute more. Serve with rice.