Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Chinese lu broth can be used for eggs, peanuts (in shell), donkey penises, tongue, whatever you want to cook for a long time in broth to make it soft, flavorful and delicious.
- 2 quarts water
- 1 -3 star anise
- 1 -2 cinnamon stick
- 6 dried chilies
- 2 -3 tablespoons szechuan peppercorns
- 1 -2 chinese cardamom pod
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 3 -4 tablespoons salt (to taste, broth should be a bit salty)
- 1⁄4 cup xiaoxing liquor
- 1 -2 lb chicken feet
- 1 pinch sugar (optional)
- Put all the spices and salt into the water. Start to simmer.
- Add chicken hands and simmer until they are the desired texture (2-3 hours).
- Then let them cool in the broth and soak up the flavor as the broth cools.
- Filter out all the spices and discard them.
- If you want a little more flavor, you can simmer down some of the broth with sugar and then toss the hands in them as a sauce.