Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I prepare and bake this in my cast iron skillet or you can pour the meat mixture into a 9-inch square dish or pie plate. This is an excellent way to serve Sloppy Joe's to the young 'uns; less mess and my grandchildren love it. OK, so don't the adults as well. Preparation and cook times are guesstimated as Zaar requires them.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb turkey
- 1 (1 1/3 ounce) packet sloppy joe seasoning mix
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) package cornbread mix
- Brown ground beef or turkey in a large skillet. Drain fat.
- Stir in Seasoning, tomato paste and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 min., stirring occasionally; pour into a 9-inch square baking dish or pie plate.
- While meat mixture is simmering prepare cornbread batter according to package directions; spoon over meat mixture.
- Bake at 425ºF for 15 minutes, or until cornbread topping is golden brown.
I've never used sloppy joe mix before and wasn't sure what to expect, and was happy that everyone liked it. Loved the combination of the joes with the cornbread topping. I couldn't find a 10-oz package of cornbread mix, so I used Jiffy brand which is a a 8.5 ounce box. Also, since the Jiffy box directions said to bake at 400 degrees, that is what I did. Cornbread was done in 15 minutes. Made for Fall 2009 Pick A Chef.