Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This took years to make mac & cheese like "Nan" used to make. I finally got it right by accident (being low on the cheese & decreasing the amount). How funny it is when I got it right by being low in stock on the main ingredient. I hope you enjoy this as much as my family & I do. I make this all year round and it's worth the effort. It's a big hit at Church pot lucks too.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 6 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni, dry
- Part I - Cook elbow macaroni according to directions and drain the water. Place cooked macaroni in a medium glass bowl.
- Part II - The roux.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Add the 2 TBS white flour and quickly stir to prevent lumping and make a roux this way.
- Add whole milk 1/4 cup at a time stirring constantly. You may need a little bit more milk if it is a low humidity day.
- Part III - The Cheese Sauce.
- Cut the Velveeta into cubes & add the cheese cubes to the roux and keep stirring constantly until the Velveeta is melted. Keep stirring and add the spices to the cheese Sauce.
- Immediately pour the cheese sauce onto the macaroni and gently stir. You may serve immediately & enjoy! :).
This is the Real Deal - just what I was craving. Good old fashioned comfort food, nothing "foo foo". I added 1/2 tsp dry mustard and 1/8 tsp powdered onion and had to make myself just walk away to keep from standing at the counter and eating it all before I could get it to the table for dinner! Thanks for posting.