Recipe by bluemoon downunder
These delicious, low-fat Middle Eastern almond sweetmeats are from 'The Best of Lebanese and Middle Eastern Cooking', and have been posted for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. The "resting" time for the paste has not been included in the preparation time below.
- 8 ounces ground almonds
- 4 ounces icing sugar
- 4 -6 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 4 ounces pistachio nuts, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 ounce caster sugar
- 4 ounces extra icing sugar
- 4 ounces extra pistachio nuts, peeled, see note below
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the finely chopped pistachio nuts and caster sugar, and set aside.
- Combine the ground almonds and icing sugar with enough orange-blossom water to form a stiff paste.
- Knead until smooth and allow to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Shape the paste into small balls the size of a walnut, and using a teaspoon handle, make a small hole in each ball and fill it with the combined pistachio nuts and caster sugar; close the hole over the filling and reshape to a round shape.
- Roll the balls in icing sugar and place in small paper cups or on a serving plate. Decorate the top of each ball with a peeled pistachio nut.
- Serve with coffee.
- Note: To peel pistachio nuts, simmer for 3 minutes, drain and slip off skins; dry on a paper towel before use.