1 hr 5 mins
Lemons and wine give this hearty, elegant soup a naturally tart flavor; this may be magnified if you substitute Neufchatel cheese for the cream cheese. (I'm a big fan of piquant/tart flavors, and like it both ways!) I use those inexpensive "lox bits" from the supermarket or deli, and am always surprised at how tender they become after cooking. This is one of my favorites during colder months!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced or chopped (or 2 smaller ones!)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 8 ounces salmon lox, chopped (container of "lox bits" works well too, just drain & rinse to remove excess oil)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped (I use half a package of frozen spinach)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 dash nutmeg
- salt and black pepper
- 1In your favorite soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- 2Add onions and cook until soft and golden, about 10-15 minutes.
- 3(You want the onions to be slightly brown, but not black!) Add the drained lox and chopped dill.
- 4Cook 3 minutes, then add the flour and stir well.
- 5If it looks like a lox-paste mixture, don't worry, that's how it's supposed to be.
- 6While stirring the lox mixture, gradually add the broth.
- 7Add potatoes, spinach, salt, and pepper.
- 8Turn up heat until mixture boils, then reduce heat to medium/low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 9Add milk.
- 10Simmer 5 more minutes.
- 11Cut the cream cheese into small pieces (1 oz. or 1/2 oz works best).
- 12Stir each piece into the soup, one at a time, until each piece has melted into the soup.
- 13When the soup is completely smooth, add the nutmeg, wine, and lemon juice.
- 14Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lox Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (598 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.7
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 66.7 mg
- Sodium 1699.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 20.8 g