Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A soup with the flavor of chicken gumbo, I adapted this from a friend's recipe to keep it low fat and low calorie, but still has plenty of flavor! Don't let all the ingredients scare you, it's easy to make with ingredients you probably have on hand (well, except for the okra!). You can probably substitute a can of tomatoes (drained) for the fresh tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons liquid Butter Buds
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1 1⁄2 quarts hot water
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup rice, uncooked
- 8 ounces frozen vegetable gumbo or 5 ounces frozen okra, cut 1/4 inch crosswise
- 8 ounces chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In large heavy pan over medium heat, heat 2 T liquid Butter Buds and then stir in the following: onions, celery, green pepper, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the following ingredients: tomatoes, chicken soup base, hot water, rice, veg gumbo (or okra), chicken breast, Worcestershire and red pepper. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and gently boil for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- In small bowl with wire whisk, blend 2 T cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water til smooth. Gradually pour paste into hot soup while stirring vigorously. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute before serving.
- Serve with hot sauce on the side.