1/1 Photo of Lowfat Acorn Squash Soup With Roasted Garlic
1 hr 15 mins
Sephardi Kitchen's Note:
Easy to make and great for a cold or rainy day! Also a great way to use up any old vegetables in the fridge- I used celery and cabbage, but I'm sure zucchini, yellow squash, cooked eggplant or potatoes would also work (just try to avoid any vegetables that have a strong flavor that would clash with the squash). If you aren't worried about cholesterol or fat (I made this version for my mom, who cannot have cholesterol), you can substitute the soy milk with half and half or cream, and the fake butter spread with real butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, whole and unpeeled
- 29.58-44.37 ml fresh ginger (about 1-inch piece)
- 1-2 celery rib, chopped
- 236.59-473.18 ml cabbage, chopped fine
- 29.58-44.37 ml oil, spread (or real butter)
- 44.37 ml white flour
- 7.39 ml curry powder (ready-made, or make your own)
- 4.92 ml dried dill weed
- 4.92 ml red pepper flakes, ground
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 591.47 ml water (may need adjusting)
- 354.88 ml soymilk, plain
- 2 medium acorn squash (about 3-4 cups)
- 0.25 ml lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the acorn squash in half, and place in a glass baking pan along with the whole unpeeled garlic. Bake for about 1 hour or until the squash is tender.
- 2Meanwhile, melt the oil spread (or butter) in a saucepan and saute the onions and ginger until the onions are translucent. Add the celery and cabbage, and cook until tender.
- 3In a small bowl, mix the flour together with all the dry spices. Stir into the vegetables, until combined. Meanwhile, boil the water in the microwave or a kettle, and dissolve the bouillon cubes in it. Add the boiling water to the pot, along with the soy milk. Heat until it barely reaches a boil, then reduce heat.
- 4Remove the seeds and pulp from the squash, and slice off the peel. Chop into cubes or mash, and add to the soup. Peel and mash the roasted garlic, and add this as well.
- 5Add the lemon juice.
- 6Using an immersion blender or a traditional blender, puree until smooth. Taste and adjust spices if needed. Season with salt and pepper, and serve hot!
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lowfat Acorn Squash Soup With Roasted Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.8
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 297.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 5.3 g