Recipe by Jim in Washington
I found this recipe while searching for recipes for 1 or 2, and modified it a little. I thought it should also make a good lower sodium recipe. This recipe yeilded enough for me to mix with 1 Cup cooked pasta and 1 can tuna in water, and it was moist without being runny. I also had to sub Monterrey Jack cheese as I was out of Parmesan. I might like it better, that way. Ingredients may be adjusted easily for personal preference.
- 1⁄4 cup powdered milk
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup grated low-sodium parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the powdered milk to the water and mix well (read the directions on the package because reconstitution can vary slightly from product to product). Set aside. In a saucepan with a heavy bottom, sautee garlic in the butter over med high heat, 2 or 3 minutes. Add the flour and stir until the mixture is smooth. Add the reconstituted milk slowly and stir constantly to prevent burning. Turn down heat to low and heat until the sauce is thick enough, usually about 3 -5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well mixed. Remove from heat and serve separately, or mix with entree and serve.
- Mushrooms, cooked carrots, celery or other veggies may be added with the spices, if desired.